While it’s common knowledge that good skincare starts with cleansing and ends with moisturising, what should or could take place in the middle can sometimes be a mystery.
Enter serums. Targeted, multifunctional skin saviours. And your quick, easy way to ramp up the results of your skincare routine in one smooth sweep.
What is a serum?
Serums are, most commonly, ultra-light, water-based skincare treatments. They contain a higher concentration of specific actives in the formula which, when applied to clean skin, penetrate quickly and deeply to target specific skincare concerns both instantly and over time.
It’s a common misconception that serums can replace your moisturiser. While they help hydrate skin, they are water-based and so don’t create enough of a barrier on the surface of skin to prevent trans-epidermal water loss (TEWL). You should therefore apply them after cleansing and toning, underneath your regular moisturiser.
What do serums do?
We offer a host of serums to meet your specific skincare goals…
Lacklustre skin? Try Skin Radiance Intensive Serum
Everyone desires skin that glows with radiance and the wonderful thing about Skin Radiance Intensive Serum is that it works for all skin types – dry, oily or normal, as well as pigmented, dull and tired.
Part of our exceptional Skin Radiance range, this SuperActive™ formula contains a potent blend of actives to swiftly revitalise, brighten and even skin tone:
- Antioxidant Vitamin C – stabilised to preserve maximum efficiency until it comes into contact with skin, this active boost collagen, minimises areas of pigmented skin and helps even skin tone
- Mulberry, Bearberry and Liquorice – this incredible complex works synergistically to invigorate a dull, tired complexion, leaving it lighter and brighter
- Meadowsweet – stimulates cell renewal for fresher, softer skin
Apply 1-2 pumps twice a day onto cleansed skin, underneath your moisturiser.
Sensitive or sensitised skin? Try Repair and Restore Intensive Serum
This deeply soothing serum is something of an unsung hero and is simply perfect for skin that’s left feeling sensitive after exposure to the elements, or even central heating and air conditioning – making it ideal for city dwellers and commuters.
- Beta Glucan Complex and Wheatgerm help protect against environmental aggressors
- Inca Inchi Oil restores moisture balance
- Canola and Wild Indigo protect and soothe, helping boost skin’s natural moisture barrier
If your skin is usually sensitive, use this serum twice a day after cleansing and before moisturising on an ongoing basis. If it feels like your skin is experiencing more of a temporary blip, use it twice a day for a month or so before reverting to your regular serum.
Concerned about elasticity? Try Lift and Firm Intensive Serum
If your skin is starting to show more than just a few fine lines, reach for this concentrated firming serum twice a day, after cleansing and before moisturising, to powerfully hydrate, lift and smooth.
- Vitamin-rich Gotu Kola and Larch help lift and firm
- Irish Moss leaves skin soft and supple
Do make sure, however, that you only progress onto Lift and Firm Intensive Serum when you really need it. Using it too early (generally before your 40s) will leave your skin needy later in life and mean these actives don’t work as effectively.
Fine lines? Try Instant Facial
For skin that’s not quite ready for Lift and Firm Intensive Serum, Instant Facial is the perfect bridge. It’s also not just a serum… but a face treatment oil and an essence as well – making it a powerhouse of plant actives, marine extracts and essential oils. The results are instant, as the name would suggest, leaving skin smooth, hydrated and with that much-coveted post-facial glow.
- Antioxidant Macroalgae Cell Extract helps minimise fine lines
- White Truffle Extract enhances elasticity
- Premium-grade Hyaluronic Acid rapidly hydrates skin
- Winged Kelp strengthens skin’s natural moisture barrier
- Antioxidant Vitamin C – stabilised to preserve maximum efficiency until it comes into contact with skin, minimises areas of pigmented skin and visibly brightens skin
- Evening Primrose and Avocado Oils – which are encapsulated in vege-beads in order to keep this formula ultra-light – instantly nourish skin
As with our other serums, use it twice a day on cleansed skin, underneath your moisturiser.
Promote healthy, glowing skin. Try Optimal Skin ProSerum
Get your skincare habits off to the best start with ProSerum… this clever combination of plant actives and essential oils helps protect against environmental aggressors that can lead to premature skin ageing, while also nourishing, brightening and strengthening skin.
- Rosehip Oil – a rich source of Omega 3, 6 and 9, plus Vitamin A – to help prevent premature skin ageing
- White Lupin Extract boosts collagen production to maintain youthful skin
- Turmeric Root Extract helps even skin tone and boost radiance
- Sunflower Seed Extract strengthens skin’s moisture barrier
- Vitamin E and Evening Primrose Oil feed skin and help skin cell regeneration
While it’s packed with actives, ProSerum is beautifully light and silky, making it comfortable to wear day and night. In the morning, apply two drops to cleansed skin underneath your moisturiser. At night, use it more as a face treatment oil and apply to size of a five-pence piece to your hands, then massage over your face, neck and décolleté.